Pushing the envelope with trendsetting ideas

Pushing the envelope with trendsetting ideas
Elsje Designs creates fun & functional gifts, stationery and table decor with a true South African touch

THE BUZZ

Stay in the know

with our latest designs, special offers and inspirational ideas.

If you want to receive regular eye candy, subscribe to our blog!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Paper lampshade

I made this lampshade for my wedding and filled it with personalised messages and images for my guests.  It was lovely to see how much time they spent reading all our heartfelt messages.  The images and artwork I used was old botanical images of the Acacia Karoo (Soetdoring), old Karoo bookplates, fossils, antique paintings, birds of the area - I loved the process - I kept on finding new (old) images!  And none of the images were just generic, every artwork, message and poem was chosen for a reason.  I also tried to celebrate my beautiful karoo with all its plants, birds, animals, mountains.


It was difficult to stick to a colour scheme (and I didn't want to either as it can become a bit rigid), but I did try to focus on the Soetdoring-trees - which was in full bloom with their happy yellow pom pom flowers.


A few of the images I used...











Since it was New Years, one of the themes was clocks - in all shapes and sizes.




No comments: